VLIR-UOS is looking for a Monitoring & Evaluation manager (m/f/x)
Full-time job, contract of indefinite duration
We support partnerships between universities and university colleges, in Flanders and in our partner countries, looking for innovative responses to global and local challenges. We stimulate cooperative projects between professors, researchers and lecturers and award grants to students and professionals in Flanders and our partner countries. Finally, we help to reinforce higher education in the partner countries and the development-relevant internationalisation of higher education in Flanders.
The organisation is currently in a transformation phase, in which VLIR-UOS on the one hand wants to substantively expand its role as a global facilitator and on the other hand wants to digitalise its operations. In addition, work is being done to improve data support.
The head office in Brussels employs around twenty people and is divided into two services: ProgrammeHub, the programme service, and Digital Factory, the digital transformation cell.
As Monitoring & Evaluation manager, you play a central role in analysing and evaluating the various programmes managed by VLIR-UOS. You collect information about the results of our programmes and convert it into impactful analyses. You manage the evaluation function of VLIR-UOS and set up evaluation processes. You support the organisation and its partners in result-oriented management within the various programmes and projects.
You report to the Strategy & Operations manager. In your role, you are strongly involved in the various VLIR-UOS teams and processes.
You are primarily responsible for the following outcome areas.
- You develop and manage various surveys to capture, analyse, and communicate the results of VLIR-UOS (e.g. surveys at the level of scholarship students, promoters, etc.) on themes, countries, programmes, projects, etc.
- In close cooperation with your colleagues, you analyse
o data from the various (scholarship) surveys and translate them into annual impact reports;
o information from projects funded by VLIR-UOS (meta-analysis).
- You systematise lessons learned that have been identified in impact stories (text analysis, meta-analysis).
- You analyse the data generated from various processes in VLIR-UOS and convert them into reports that contribute to the development of the organisation.
- You make an annual impact report with lessons learned.
- You actively participate in the community with ARES and the ITG with whom VLIR-UOS participates in a thematic Joint Strategic Framework on Higher Education & Science For Sustainable Development.
Monitoring & Evaluation
- You optimise the results-based governance, including the normative framework, for the entire operation of the organisation.
- You develop a system of collective learning and knowledge management within the organisation.
- You support the higher education institutions in the development, monitoring, and/or evaluation of programmes, projects and grants.
- You follow the international and Belgian normative framework for monitoring and evaluation (M&E) in the context of development cooperation;
- You update the monitoring role of VLIR-UOS, complementary to what the project partners (higher education institutions) do themselves;
- You develop a multiannual planning of monitoring and evaluations for programmes, projects and grants;
- You manage evaluation processes, from terms of reference to implementation and management response;
- Follow up on external evaluations;
- Valorisation of evaluation results (setting up learning processes regarding evaluation, communicating);
- Representing VLIR-UOS at relevant fora or events.
You like doing studies, you are an experienced expert and you are quick to see connections. You are a go-getter with a pronounced sense of methodological innovation and you build bridges between people.
You have a master’s degree, preferably in a field related to the policy problems of countries in the Global South.
- Preferably at least 6 years of working experience in a relevant position;
- Demonstrable experience in designing studies, developing surveys and analysing results;
- Demonstrable experience with qualitative and quantitative research methods;
- Demonstrable experience in monitoring and evaluation, both at policy development level and in managing M&E processes and projects.
- Experience in an organisation that works with project files and grant applications;
- Experience with the organisation and the implementation of internal and external training activities;
- Work experience in the field of Flemish higher education and/or development cooperation.
- You have the following competencies:
o Experience in monitoring and evaluation, both at policy development level and in the management of M&E processes and projects;
o Skilled with Microsoft Excel and other data analysis/collection tools (e.g. Qualtrics, R, SPSS, NVivo);
o Experience in facilitating focus groups, conducting interviews, etc.
o Good oral and written skills in Dutch, English and French.
- A full-time position on a 38-hour basis with sufficient flexibility and the possibility to work from home.
- A dynamic environment of motivated people in a modern office in Brussels, in the vicinity of public transport and with a lot of attention for well-being at work.
- A salary according to the pay scales of the Flemish government. We take relevant work experience into account.
- A maximum of 35 days of leave per year for a full-time position.
- A comprehensive package of Employee Benefits: meal vouchers, health insurance in case of hospitalisation, group insurance, end-of-year bonus, compensation for working from home, 100% reimbursement of commuting expenses (public transport pass in combination with/or bicycle allowance).
- VLIR-UOS is a learning organisation focused on continuous improvement and professionalisation. There are collective and individual training possibilities.
Selection procedure and starting employment
- We select motivated candidates based on their education, experience, and competencies. We strive for a diverse organisation in terms of gender, origin, disability, religion, age, etc.
o Candidates send a motivation letter of maximum one page and their curriculum vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject 'vacancy M&E manager';
o The candidates who are selected based on their CV and motivation letter will be invited for an online interview as soon as possible;
o You will start working as soon as possible after the successful completion of the selection procedure.